Images & Film
Our primary source for online use of our image collections is COLLAGE (see below). However, while we are steadily digitising and adding more of our collections to the COLLAGE system, it is true that there are also a great many photographs, prints, posters, maps and plans which you can only see by visiting London Metropolitan Archives. You can search for descriptions of many of these by using the 'Simple Search' facility to the left, but until they are digitised, you can only see the images if you visit us.
- COLLAGE is our online image database containing over 200,000 images and works of art from our collections and those of Guildhall Art Gallery. It is a unique resource containing an incredible range of images of London. You can purchase high quality prints of the images or browse the gallery exhibitions.
- Join us now at Flickr and post a comment on, or favourite, any of the fascinating images we have depicting life in the City of London. From the architecture, fashion and markets of London to current events at LMA - take a look and get involved.
- Photo London
- London's libraries, museums and archives possess a treasure house of modern and historic photographs of London. The Photo London website exists to highlight and promote these collections
Film and Video
Many of the films in our collections are available to view in the Mediatheque at London Metropolitan Archives, along with our photograph, map and print collections. We have already digitised and added films about parks, housing, transport and public services.
If you are at LMA and find a film or video title in the main catalogue which you would like to see, please check the Mediatheque terminals first. If it is not on the terminals already, please speak to staff at the Information Desk about getting access to a digital copy (please note that it may take a couple weeks to upload the title to the Mediatheque, depending on the circumstances). If you cannot visit us, a smaller group of our films and videos are also available to view on our You Tube channel.
Watch and enjoy films from the collections online. Our You Tube channel includes films which date from the 1920s and covers topics from 20th century housing to recreation in London's parks. Our collection is understandably strong in local authority promotional films with some terrific post war examples from the London County Council and City of London
- London's Screen Archives - You Tube Channel
- London Metropolitan Archives is proud to be part of 'London's Screen Archives' the regional network for film archives. This channel includes films from archives, museums and other organisations from across the London region and provides an essential resource for anyone interested in archive film. Please note that this site includes older digital transfers of our material, so please check the LMA You Tube channel (above) for the latest copies.