Clergy and church officials
Research Guide 57 - Sources for tracing clergy and church officials
- Historical background
- General Published Sources for Church of England Clergy
- Incumbents instituted or collated
- Incumbents presented
- Persons ordained in the Diocese of London
- Persons ordained in the Dioceses of Winchester and Southwark
- Persons to whom letters dimissory were granted by the Bishop of London
- Curates, lecturers and other unbeneficed clergy licensed before 1792
- 'Stipendiary' curates licensed after 1792
- Lecturers, 'perpetual' curates and ministers
- Stipendiary and other curates Licensed in the Archdeaconry of Surrey and Diocese of Southwark
- Churchwardens (and sidesmen)
- Parish clerks (and sextons)
- Deans, Precentors, Chancellors, Treasurers, Prebendaries and Canons of St Paul's
- Minor canons, Sub-deans, Cardinals, Succentors, Sacrists and Vicars Choral of St Paul's
- Choristers of St Paul's; vergers of St Paul's
- Clergy licensed to serve in the Bishop of London's jurisdiction overseas
- Naval chaplains
- Chaplains licensed to serve in the Diocese of Gibraltar from 1866
- Chaplains, missionaries and school teachers
- Sources held elsewhere
London Metropolitan Archives holds records of Anglican clergy and church officials in the Diocese of London and the Bishop of London's jurisdiction overseas, the Archdeaconry of Surrey (in the Diocese of Winchester), the Diocese of Rochester, the Diocese of Southwark, the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's and the Commonwealth and Continental Church Society. In addition, LMA holds many of the published sources mentioned in this leaflet.
The original extent of the Diocese of London as established by the 12th century included the City of London, the counties of Middlesex and Essex, and certain parishes in Hertfordshire roughly east of a line from Ware to Royston. The short-lived Diocese of Westminster was formed in 1540 from the whole of Middlesex except Fulham, but was dissolved in 1550. The Archdeaconry of St Albans, comprising parishes in Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire was added to the Diocese of London in 1551, but more radical changes followed in the 19th and 20th centuries. In 1845 the Diocese of London lost all its parishes in Hertfordshire and nearly all of its parishes in Essex to the Diocese of Rochester, and its parishes in Buckinghamshire were transferred to the Diocese of Oxford. In exchange, the London Diocese gained some parishes in Kent formerly in the Diocese of Rochester, and some Surrey parishes formerly in the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1867, its remaining Essex parishes and the Kent parishes gained in 1845 were transferred to the Diocese of Rochester which, in 1877, also gained those Surrey parishes which the London Diocese had acquired in 1845. Also in 1877, parishes in Essex and Hertfordshire with North Woolwich in Kent were transferred to the newly-created Diocese of St Albans, and in exchange the Diocese of Rochester gained parishes in east and mid-Surrey from the Dioceses of London and Winchester.
From the early 8th century most of Surrey was within the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Winchester. Eleven parishes forming the Deanery of Croydon (Barnes, Burstow, Charlwood, Cheam, Croydon, East Horsley, Merstham, Mortlake, Newington, Putney and Wimbledon) were a Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury but almost all the remaining parishes in Surrey formed the Archdeaconry of Surrey. There were changes in 1845 when Barnes, Mortlake, Newington, Putney and Wimbledon were transferred to the Diocese of London. In a move which would have later significance, the Kent parishes of Charlton, Lee, Lewisham, Greenwich, Woolwich, Eltham, Plumstead and Deptford were transferred from the Diocese of Rochester to the Diocese of London at the same time, although they were returned to Rochester in 1867. Ten years later, parishes in the parliamentary divisions of east and mid-Surrey formerly in the Archdeaconry of Surrey and the Diocese of London also went to Rochester Diocese. In 1905 the Diocese of Southwark was created from these Surrey parishes and the Kent parishes of Deptford, Eltham, Greenwich, Lewisham, Mottingham and Woolwich which had been part of Rochester Diocese. The Diocese of Guildford was formed in 1927 from those west Surrey parishes remaining in the Archdeaconry of Surrey together with a few Hampshire parishes.
From 1633, the Bishop of London was held to have responsibility for Anglican chaplaincies overseas where no local bishop had been appointed. The Bishop of London’s jurisdiction over chaplaincies in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the Diocese of Gibraltar. However, he retained responsibility for those in northern and central Europe until 1980 when he divested himself of all jurisdiction overseas and a single Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe was formed, known today as the Diocese in Europe.
Outside Europe, the allegiance of the American (Episcopal) church to the Bishop of London had ended after American independence in 1776. The first Anglican bishop in Canada was appointed in 1787, and other British colonies generally acquired bishops of their own in the 19th century.
University Educated Clergy
For the period before the mid 19th century, when most English clergymen were graduates of Oxford or Cambridge University, biographical details including clerical appointments can often be found in:
- A.B. Emden, Biographical register of the University of Oxford, covering Oxford graduates 13th cent.-1540;
- J. Foster, Alumni Oxonienses, covering Oxford graduates 1500-1886;
- A.B. Emden, Biographical register of the University of Cambridge, covering Cambridge graduates 13th cent.-1500;
- J. and J.A. Venn, Alumni Cantabrigienses, covering Cambridge graduates 13th cent.-1900.
Similar books exist for the universities of Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews, and for Trinity College Dublin; however some of these do not give full biographical details.
No comparable sources exist for those who had not received a university education.
From 1817 to date the following clerical directories are available:
- The Clerical Guide: lists incumbents but not curates, arranged by parish (with index to names), giving date of institution or collation to current incumbency.
- The Clergy List: lists incumbents and curates, arranged by parish and also by name.
- Crockfords Clerical Directory: lists incumbents and curates, arranged by name and also (from 1889) by parish. The following details are given in all volumes (except for 1858 and 1860, where some details are omitted): current address, date of institution or collation to current incumbency, date of licensing to current curacy, date and diocese of ordination, places and dates of previous incumbencies or curacies.
- The London Diocese Book: lists incumbents and curates, within the diocese of London only, arranged by parish, with index to names. Dates are given of ordination and also of institution or collation to current incumbency, or of licensing to current curacy.
LMA holds Crockfords Clerical Directory (53.0 CRO) either in hard-copy or on microfilm for 1858, 1860, 1864, 1868, 1870, 1872, 1874, 1876-1879, and from 1892-date. LMA also has some editions of the Clergy List (53.0 CLE) and the London Diocese Book (53.8 LON).
The Clergy of the Church of England Database
The Clergy of the Church of England Database (www.theclergydatabase.org.uk) is a collaborative project, funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council and bringing together scholars from King's College London, the University of Kent at Canterbury and the University of Reading. Its objective is to create a relational database documenting the careers of all Church of England clergymen between 1540 and 1835.
The Bishop (or Chapter) had the authority to institute a clergyman to livings within their jurisdiction; where the Bishop (or Chapter) presented and instituted an incumbent, the process was known as collation.
a) Parishes in the City of London & (former) County of Middlesex
For the period 1321-1898 see G. Hennessy, Novum Repertorium Ecclesiasticum Parochiale Londinense,1898 (53.3 HEN), which is arranged by parish with an index to personal names at the back. Hennessy gives details of institutions and collations of incumbents derived from records of the diocese of London and the peculiar jurisdictions of the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. References to original sources used by Hennessy are given in each entry.
After 1898, lists of those in office at any given date can be found in Crockfords Clerical Directory or the London Diocese Book (see section 1) for the year concerned. The most accessible manuscript source for institutions and collations 1898-1937 is the Bishop’s act books (DL/A/A/020/MS09532A/11-15).
b) Parishes in Essex (before 1867), Herts. and Bucks. (before 1845), Kent (1845-67) & Surrey (1845-77) within the Diocese of London; & parishes in Essex & Herts. (before c.1847) within the Peculiar of the Dean & Chapter of St Paul's.
For the period 1321-1700, see R. Newcourt, Repertorium Ecclesiasticum Parochiale Londinense, 1708-10 (53.3 NEW), arranged by parish in 2 volumes with an index to personal names at the back of volume 2.
For incumbents not mentioned in Newcourt, the following sources may be worth trying:
- For Essex parishes see P. H. Reaney, Early Essex Clergy (1939-46) which covers the 12th to 15th centuries.
- For parishes in the St Paul's Peculiar see the Chapter Act Book 1411-48, CLC/313/D/001/MS25513 and the Dean's Register 1536-41, CLC/313/C/001/MS25630/001.
- For the Diocese of London 1701-1761 consult the Bishop’s registers, DL/A/A/04/MS09531/017-020, for 1761-92 the Bishop’s act books in DL/A/A/018/MS09548 and DL/A/A/019/MS09549, and for 1792-1877 in DL/A/A/020/MS09532A/001-007.
- For parishes under the jurisdiction of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's (to c.1847 only), consult either the Muniment Books, CLC/313/C/006/MS25664/001-007, which have indexes to places, or the Seal Books, CLC/313/C/004/MS25660/001-007, which have indexes to names 1660-1823 only. There are no indexes to names 1823-c.1847.
- For earlier records of those Surrey parishes transferred to the Diocese of London in 1845, please contact Lambeth Palace Library.
c) Parishes in Surrey, other than peculiars, within the Archdeaconry of Surrey (to 1928), the Diocese of Rochester (1877-1905) and the Diocese of Southwark (from 1905); & parishes in Kent within the Diocese of Rochester (1867-1905; NB records from 1877 only) and the Diocese of Southwark (from 1905)
- Archdeaconry of Surrey: registers of inductions 1763-1928; mandates of induction 1885-1910
- Dioceses of Rochester and Southwark: induction books for Archdeaconry of Southwark 1878-1939 and Archdeaconry of Kingston upon Thames 1880-1924; Archdeaconry of Lewisham 1906-1960 (DS/K/IRL/001), Archdeaconry of Kingston upon Thames 1939-1961 (DS/K/IRK/001); mandates of induction for Archdeaconry of Southwark 1878-1901, Archdeaconry of Kingston upon Thames 1880-1901; incumbents’ subscription books 1905-1960 (DS/OB/SI/001-006); records of institutions, inductions and collations 1908-1963.
NB: These records are uncatalogued and are available by prior appointment only. Records less than 50 years old require written permission from the Registrar of the Diocese of Southwark.
For further records of Kent parishes before 1845 and after 1867, please contact Kent Archives.
(Incumbents presented by the Bishop of London or Dean & Chapter of St Paul's to livings in their patronage)
Besides instituting incumbents to livings within their jurisdiction, both the Bishop and Dean and Chapter had the right of presenting incumbents to such livings as were within their patronage.
Where the Bishop (or Chapter) presented an incumbent but, because the living was situated in a different diocese or jurisdiction, did not institute him, the relevant sources are as follows:
Bishop of London's patronage:
- from the mid 18th century to 1778, a list of incumbents arranged by parish is available in DL/B/D/012/MS09554;
- from c.1815 to 1937 incumbents are recorded and indexed in the Bishop’s act books, DL/A/A/020/MS09532A/002-015.
- There are no records available before the mid-18th century or for the period 1779-c.1814.
Dean and Chapter's patronage:
- from 1660-1854 consult either the Muniment Books, CLC/313/C/006/MS25664/001-007, which have indexes to places, or the Seal Books, CLC/313/C/004/MS25660/001-007, which have indexes to names 1660-1823 only. There are no indexes to names 1823-54.
- from 1854-1912 consult CLC/313/C/006/MS25664/008, which has indexes to both names and places;
- from 1912-31, consult CLC/313/C/004/MS25660/007 (not indexed).
- There are no records available before 1660.
Incumbents presented by the Bishop of Southwark:
- presentation papers 1906-1916.
- NB: These records are uncatalogued and are available by prior appointment only.
The following sources relate to persons ordained by the Bishop of London or by a suffragan acting on his behalf. Most of them subsequently held clerical office in the diocese of London, but the ordinands include a number whose subsequent clerical career was overseas (whether within or outside the Bishop of London's jurisdiction) or in another English diocese.
- 1361-1374 (reference code: DL/A/A/004/MS09531/002*) – Indexed in Canterbury and York Society, Volumes 34 and 38
- 1382-1448 (reference code: DL/A/A/004/MS09531/003-006*) – No index available
- 1489-1550 (reference code: DL/A/A/004/MS09531/008-012*) – No index available
- 1669-1674 (reference code: DL/A/A/004/MS09531/016) - Indexed in DL/A/B/002/MS09535A (incomplete)
- 1809-1842 (reference code: DL/A/A/004/MS09531/024-028) - Indexed in DL/A/B/002/MS09535A (incomplete)
Register of ordinations:
- 1550-1628 (reference code: DL/A/B/001/MS09535/001-002*) - Indexed in DL/A/B/002/MS09535A (incomplete)
- 1675/6-1781, 1787-1809 (reference code: DL/A/B/001/MS09535/003*) - Indexed in DL/A/B/002/MS09535A (incomplete)
- 1663-1674 (reference code: DL/A/B/042/MS09539A/003**) - Indexed in CLC/270/MS20868/001-002
- 1663-1669 (reference code: DL/A/B/042/MS09539A/003**)- Indexed in DL/A/B/002/MS09535A
- 1938-1947 (reference codes: DL/A/B/047A/MS29516/001-002***) - Not indexed
- 1948-1956, (reference code: DL/A/B/047B/MS32725***) - Not indexed
Bishop's act books:
- 1842-1937 (reference codes: DL/A/A/020/MS09532A/004-015) - registers integrally indexed
*available on microfilm
**ordinands subscriptions only
***ordinands subscription only by persons intending to officiate in the colonies.
No records are available for the periods 1375-81, 1449-88, 1629-61 (presumably no ordinations took place c.1646-60), and 1781-87 (no ordinations took place).
LMA also holds ordination papers, DL/A/B/002/MS10326, which include testimonials, letters and related papers for the ordination of priests and deacons 1674-1985, and the same for curates, preachers, and lecturers c.1720-c.1760. These papers have survived for some individuals in part only, and for others not at all. NB: Access is not permitted to ordination papers less than 50 years old. See also DL/A/B/051/MS10116, DL/E/B/008/MS22334 and DL/A/B/059/MS17850 for further licensing papers concerning curates etc., 1660-1986
(NB: access is not permitted to papers less than 30 years old).
Persons resident in the diocese of London who were to be ordained by a bishop in another diocese may be sought in the records of persons granted letters dimissory by the Bishop of London between 1761 and c.1892 (see section 7). At some dates the Bishop of London did not perform ordinations himself but granted letters dimissory to all ordination candidates, including those who were to be licensed to a curacy or other title within his own diocese.
LMA has ordination papers of three persons ordained by the Bishop of Gibraltar, in 1916, 1931 and 1963: see CLC/319/C/002/MS20977.
- Diocese of Winchester: ordination papers 1868-1873
- Diocese of Southwark: ordination papers 1905-1986 (with gaps) and ordinands’ subscription books 1905-1960
NB: These records are uncatalogued and are available by prior appointment only. Access to records of ordinations by the Bishop of Southwark requires written permission from the Diocesan Registrar.
For further records of ordinations in the Diocese of Winchester please contact Hampshire Archives and Local Studies. For records of ordinations in the Diocese of Rochester please contact the Kent Archives.
(for ordination in another diocese)
For 1761-75 see DL/A/A/018/MS09548 and for 1775-92 see DL/A/A/019/MS09549 (both indexed); from 1792 to c.1892 consult DL/A/A/020/MS09532A/001-009 (indexed). There are no records available before 1761 and after c.1892.
N.B. For letters dimissory granted by the Bishop of Gibraltar 1882 and 1889, see CLC/319/C/002/MS20977.
Bishops of London 1601-1956 are listed in F. M. Powicke and E.B. Fryde, Handbook of British Chronology, 1996 (60.0 ROY). For Bishops c.1066-c.1857, full references to original sources are given in John Le Neve, Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae (see section 16 below). A narrative account and list of Bishops of London can be found in B. Denny, King's Bishop, 1985 (53.8 LON).
There was only one Bishop of Westminster, viz. Thomas Thirlby, 1540-50.
Suffragan Bishops in London Diocese 1332-1895 are listed in G. Hennessy, Novum Repertorium Ecclesiasticum Parochiale Londinense (1898). Suffragan Bishops of Edmonton 1970-5, Islington 1898-1923, Kensington 1901-64, Stepney 1895-1978 and Willesden 1911-1974 (also Bishops of Fulham 1926-70 and Bishops of Gibraltar 1842-1970) are listed in Crockfords Clerical Directory 1977-9.
Diocese of London: for the period c.1520-1627 and 1675-85, licences are entered in the Vicar General’s books, DL/C/0330-0345 (microfilms X019/001-008). These are mostly licences 'to preach'; no curates' licences before c.1565.
There are lists of curates 1554 (incomplete), 1561 (incomplete), 1574,1577 and 1580, and of curates and lecturers 1583, 1586, 1589, 1592, 1598, 1607, 1612 and 1615, arranged by place, in the visitation books, DL/B/A/002/MS09537/001-012.
There are licensing papers for curates, lecturers and other unbeneficed clergy, from 1660, in DL/A/B/051/MS10116 and DL/E/B/008/MS22334 (calendared to 1720 only in CLC/420/MS21737).
Subscriptions of curates and lecturers 1675-85 are recorded in DL/E/B/003/MS09540/001-004, and lists of curates and lecturers arranged by place, 1677, in DL/B/A/002/MS09537/021, and 1680, in DL/B/A/002/MS09537/023.
A modern index has been compiled from subscription books of curates etc. for the periods 1627-46 and 1660/1-75 to names in CLC/270/MS20868/001-002 and to places in CLC/270/MS20868/003.
From 1685-1723, names and places are indexed for licences entered in Vicar General’s books, DL/A/A/021/MS09532/001-003.
For 1723-48 and 1748-87 names are listed alphabetically in the Fulham Papers volumes 42 & 38, held at Lambeth Palace Library; copies are held in Guildhall Library, microfilms 383A and 383 (see section 23 below for contact details).
For a list arranged by place see DL/E/B/012/MS09550 and for lists of curates etc. in office, dated 1753 and 1759, arranged by place see DL/B/A/002/MS09537/036.
Names and places are indexed in the Bishop’s act books for 1761-75 (DL/A/A/018/MS09548) and 1775-92 (DL/A/A/MS09549).
Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's: for persons licensed 1667-93 & 1700-7 consult the lists in CLC/313/K/B/003/MS25533/001-007 (NB. volume 2 does not include any curates or lecturers; presumably none were licensed for the period 1670-4). For 1686-1723 consult CLC/313/E/004/MS25801 and for 1724-79 see the Dean and Chapter Commissary's Muniment Book, CLC/313/C/007/MS25665.
There are no records available for 1724-c.1756 and 1780-c.1792.
(i.e. those appointed to assist incumbents of parish churches, with payment)
Diocese of London: the Bishop’s act books record licences issued 1792-1813 in DL/A/A/020/MS09532A/001-002 (names and places indexed); for 1813-1947 curates' licences are available in DL/A/B/053/MS10300/001-036 (names and places indexed); licensing papers to 1986 may be found in DL/E/B/008/MS22334 and DL/A/B/059/MS17850 (NB: access is not permitted to papers less than 30 years old).
Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's: the Dean and Chapter Muniment Books record licences granted c.1792-c.1847 in CLC/313/C/006/MS25664/005-007 (places indexed; for index to names 1803-23 consult CLC/313/C/004/MS25660/005). No licences were issued after c.1847.
N.B. For clergy licensed in or after 1858, and for clergy licensed before 1858 whose clerical career continued beyond that date, biographical details with dates of curacies can be found in Crockfords Clerical Directory.
Perpetual curates i.e. those having charge of parish or district churches lacking the status of a vicarage or rectory. Ministers of non-parochial chapels licensed after 1792; & institutional chaplains licensed after c.1825
Diocese of London: the Bishop’s act books record licences granted 1792-1937 in DL/A/A/020/MS09532A/001-015 (names indexed 1792-1937; places indexed 1792-1853 and 1864-1937); there are licensing papers to 1986 in DL/E/B/008/MS22334 and DL/A/B/059/MS17850.
(access is not permitted to papers less than 30 years old).
Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's: the Dean and Chapter Muniment Books record licences 1792-c.1847 in CLC/313/C/006/MS25664/005-006 (places indexed; for index to names 1803-23 see CLC/313/C/004/MS25660/005). No licences issued after c.1847.
N.B. No licences of institutional chaplains appear to have been issued in the Diocese of London before c.1825.
For clergy licensed in or after 1858, and for clergy licensed before 1858 whose clerical career continued beyond that date, biographical details including dates of curacies, chaplaincies etc. can be found in Crockfords Clerical Directory.
- Archdeaconry of Surrey and Diocese of Guildford: register of curates’ licences and licences for non-residence 1814-1936 (unfit for consultation)
- Archdeaconry of Surrey: curates’ licence register 1892-1916 (DW/K/02/055) and curates’ licences 1814-1918 (DW/K/02/001-054)
- Diocese of Southwark: subscription books for curates 1905-1963 (DS/OB/SC/1-2); curates’ licences 1905-1974 (with gaps)
NB: Many of these records are uncatalogued and are available by prior appointment only. Records less than 50 years old require written permission from the Diocesan Registrar.
There are no indexes to names of churchwardens, but lists arranged by place can be found in visitation books, as follows:
- Diocese of London: for 1554-1822 see DL/B/A/002/MS09537/001-051, and 1826-1905 see DL/B/A/004/MS09539/001-027.
- Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's: for 1667-93, 1700-7, 1738-74 and 1794-1825 consult CLC/313/K/B/003/MS25533/001-010. No records available for other dates.
- Archdeaconry of Surrey: for 1631 to 1874 see visitation books DW/VB/001-027.
The names of churchwardens for any given parish can generally be found in the churchwardens' accounts in the parish's own archives.
In the Diocese of London there are no diocesan records relating to organists.
For organists in City of London parishes 1666-1850 see D. Dawe, Organists of the City of London (1983), which has lists of organists arranged by name and place. For other parishes consult the appropriate parish records.
When searching for a parish clerk, it is almost always easiest to begin with McMurray's biographical collections on parish clerks c.1400-c.1940, CLC/478/MS03704/001-002. These are arranged by parish in two sequences, the first for parishes in the City of London and the second for Middlesex, Herts., Essex, Kent and Surrey parishes (name index for each sequence).
These collections give, for each parish clerk, date of admission to the Parish Clerks' Company, and, from the late 16th century, date of licensing - whether by the Bishop of London, the Bishop of Winchester or the Archbishop of Canterbury. Licences for clerks in the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's are not included.
When searching for a sexton, McMurray's collections are of little value, and the diocesan (or peculiar) records should be used for the initial search.
Original licensing records of sextons for the Diocese of London and the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's can most easily be traced as follows:
Diocese of London:
- from c.1590-1685, licences are entered in the Vicar General’s books, DL/C/0330-0345 (microfilms X019/001-008);
- from 1660-1927 there are testimonials etc. in DL/A/B/051/MS10116 and DL/E/B/008/MS22334 (calendared to 1720 only in CLC/420/MS21737);
- for 1685-1927 records of licences issued to parish clerks (to 1927) and sextons (to 1849) can be found in the Vicar General’s books, DL/A/A/021/MS09532/001-023 (places indexed; names of parish clerks and sextons, indexed for 1715-35 and 1892-1927 only).
No licences issued after 1927.
Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's:
- for 1660 consult CLC/313/K/A/001/MS25598/001;
- from 1667-87 consult the lists at the front of CLC/313/K/B/003/MS25533/001-005;
- a subscription book is available for 1686-1723, CLC/313/E/004/MS25801;
- records of licences can be found for c.1756-79 in CLC/313/C/007/MS25665 and for c.1792-c.1847 in CLC/313/C/006/MS25664/005-007 (places indexed).
No licences issued after c.1847.
Archdeaconry of Surrey:
- subscription book for schoolmasters, parish clerks and diocesan officers 1764-1869, DW/OB/041
(And Archdeacons of London, Middlesex, Essex, Colchester, and St Albans)
(Essex & Colchester to 1845, and St Albans from 1551-1845)
- for the period c.1066-1300 see John Le Neve, Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300, vol.1, compiled by D.E. Greenway (53.3 LEN)
- for 1300-1541 see John Le Neve, Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1300-1541 vol.5, compiled by J.M. Horn (53.3 LEN)
- for 1541-1857 see John Le Neve, Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857 vol.1, compiled by J.M. Horn (53.3 LEN).
Full references to original sources are given in each entry.
- for 1857-98 see G. Hennessy, Novum Repertorium Ecclesiasticum Parochiale Londinense (1898) (names indexed)
- after 1898, those in office at any given date can be found in Crockfords Clerical Directory or the London Diocese Book for the year concerned.
Minor canons c.1200-1898 are listed in G. Hennessy, Novum Repertorium Ecclesiasticum Parochiale Londinense (1898), which includes separate lists of those minor canons who held the office of sub-dean, senior or junior cardinal. Names indexed.
Minor canons who held the office of succentor or sacrist are included in Hennessy, but not listed separately from the other minor canons. There are separate lists of succentors and sacrists bound the copy of W. Sparrow Simpson, The Charter and Statutes of the College of Minor Canons (1871) held at Guildhall Library (see section 23 for contact details). This book also extends Hennessy's lists of minor canons to c.1911, and includes a list of known vicars choral 1622-1909.
A list of known choristers early 18th century to 1873 can be found in Guildhall Studies in London History vol.1, p.82. Payments to choristers (with surnames of recipients) 1873-6 may be found in CLC/313/G/065/MS25725/001, and 1876-81 in CLC/313/G/065/MS25725/002. There is also a register of applicants to St Paul’s Cathedral Choir School (with names of successful applicants), 1879-1938, CLC/315/MS29518. A register of the choir school 1873-1964, and a list of vergers 1598-1974 are available at Guildhall Library (see section 23 for contact details).
(Including chaplains, schoolmasters, missionaries and lecturers)
Clergy ordained in the Diocese of London for service overseas are included in the sources mentioned under persons ordained, section 5.
The following sources relate to licensing:
- for the period 1676-1756 (no name indexes or alphabetical lists) chronological lists can be found in the Subscription Books, DL/E/B/003/MS09540/002-012 and for 1757-65 and 1775-1810 in DL/E/B/004/MS9540A/001-003
- for 1723-48 & 1748-87 there are lists arranged by place in the Fulham Papers volumes 42 & 38 held at Lambeth Palace Library (see note in section 23 below), with a name index (copies available in Guildhall Library, microfilms 383A and 383; see section 23 for contact details)
- LMA holds licensing papers from the 18th century-1980 in DL/A/B/051/MS10116, DL/E/B/008/MS22334 and DL/A/B/059/MS17850 (NB: access is not permitted to papers less than 30 years old)
- for 1811-1937 consult the Bishop’s act books, DL/A/A/020/MS09532A/002-015 (names indexed 1811-1937, places indexed 1811-53 and 1864-1937)
N.B. No licensing records of overseas clergy exist before 1676. From 1676 until 1723 the licences are for clergy worldwide (mainly Europe, Africa, America and the West Indies). From 1723 until the end of the 18th century the licences are almost all for America and the West Indies (with very few for Africa and the East Indies; none for Europe). The 19th and 20th century licences are almost all for Europe.
Chaplains in the Royal Navy were subject to examination by the Bishop of London before entering service. However the only diocesan records which relate to naval chaplains are subscriptions 1677-c.1692, which are included in the main series of Subscription Books, DL/E/B/003/MS09540/002-003 & 005-006.
There are printed lists of chaplains 651-1978 in Gordon Taylor, The Sea Chaplains, a history of chaplains of the Royal Navy (Oxford, 1978). There is also a list 1626-1903 in A. G. Kealey, Chaplains of the Royal Navy (Portsmouth, 1905).
- From c.1692-1814 consult Taylor or Kealey (as above), or Admiralty records at the National Archives, Kew (classes ADM6, ADM24, ADM30 and ADM82).
- From 1815 naval chaplains are included in most, and from 1838 in all, of the Navy Lists published annually.
There is an index to chaplains licensed 1866-1903 in Ms 20972 but this is possibly incomplete. Thus it may be best to begin by searching the Clergy List or Crockfords Clerical Directory, which are arranged alphabetically and may give dates of licensing and other biographical details. Although the Diocese of Gibraltar was founded in 1842 there is no record of any licences being granted before 1866. Chaplains' licensing papers 1866, 1874-1903 and 1911-21 are in CLC/319/BD/007/MS20976. The whereabouts of licensing papers for other dates are unknown.
(Sponsored by the Commonwealth & Continental Church Society and its predecessor societies, from 1823)
The principal object of the society was the provision of Anglican evangelical clergymen, missionaries and schoolteachers for territories of the British Empire and Commonwealth overseas, and for communities of British residents on the continent of Europe. The society was founded in January 1851 by the uniting of earlier societies, the Colonial Church Society (established 1835 as Western Australian Missionary Society) and the Newfoundland School Society (established 1823; name changed in 1829 to Newfoundland and British North American Society for the Education of the Poor, and in 1846 to Church of England Society for the Education of the Poor in Newfoundland and the Colonies, but still frequently referred to as the Newfoundland School Society until 1850). The united society was known as the Colonial Church and School Society from 1851 to 1861, the Colonial and Continental Church Society from 1861 to 1958, and the Commonwealth and Continental Church Society from 1958 to 1979 (now known as the Intercontinental Church Society).
The most useful source for tracing persons working for the societies is the series of printed annual reports for the Newfoundland School Society 1823-50, the Colonial Church Society 1838-50 and the Colonial Church and School Society, becoming (from 1861) Colonial and Continental Church Society 1851-1939 (CLC/005/MS15718/001-027). However, personnel lists are often 'buried' among other material in the reports.
For a history of the Commonwealth & Continental Church Society, and its predecessor societies, see Faith at the Frontiers: Anglican Evangelicals & their countrymen overseas (1974) by B. Underwood.
Records of the peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster are held at Westminster Abbey Muniment Room.
Records of the Archbishop of Canterbury's peculiars are held at Lambeth Palace Library.
NB: Institutions of incumbents in the Archbishop's London and Middlesex peculiars are included in G. Hennessy, Novum Repertorium... Guildhall Library holds many of the published works mentioned above, together with individual biographies of several of several bishops of London (e.g. Creighton. Leonard).