SAINT PAUL'S CATHEDRAL: DEAN AND CHAPTER
Date of Creation:
1099? - 1955
|Scope and Content:|
|Extent:||Circa 6000 production units|
|Former Reference:||MS 25121- 821|
|Site Location:||London Metropolitan Archives; some items held offsite|
|Level of Description:|
Collection Tree View (see this DOCUMENT in context)
The Collection Tree View below shows the catalogue level, document or item described on this page in the hierarchical context of the collection it belongs to, identified in the tree by the open folder icon and highlighed text. Browsing the collection tree can be a useful way to find similar or related documents.
You can click the arrows next to the folder icons to explore the collection, opening and closing the levels of the Collection Tree. If you click on a title, you will leave this page, opening instead the page of the catalogue level, document or item you selected. Only the DOCUMENT and ITEM levels describe physical documents. The COLLECTION, GROUP, SERIES and SUBSERIES levels provide structure for the collection, but are not physical documents. See Help-Using the Catalogue for more information on our levels of catalogue description.
|Creator:||St Paul's Cathedral | London|
|Source of Acquisition:|
|Access Restrictions:||Restricted access: please see staff|
|Physical Condition:||The cathedral archives appear to have been well protected from damage during World War Two, and to have suffered little or no loss. However the same was not true of administrative books and papers which were too recent to have been added to the archives, and which may have been stored in the Chapter House. Any such papers perished when the Chapter House was destroyed by enemy action in 1940.|
CLC/313/B Statute and evidence books;
CLC/313/C Muniment books;
CLC/313/D Chapter minutes;
CLC/313/E Appointments of officials;
CLC/313/F Cathedral services;
CLC/313/G Financial records;
CLC/313/H Cathedral fabric pre-1630;
CLC/313/I Cathedral fabric post-1630;
CLC/313/J City churches rebuilding;
CLC/313/K Peculiar jurisdiction;
CLC/313/L Dean and Chapter estates;
CLC/313/M Dean's Peculiar estates;
CLC/313/N Dignitaries' and Prebendaries' estates;
CLC/313/O Chantries and obits;
This arrangement was known as the 'DCP' thematic arrangement prior to the merger of Guildhall Library Manuscripts and the LMA. The reference codes were DCPA, DCPB, DCPC, DCPD, DCPE and so on. The archives of the cathedral were sorted and boxed in the 18th and 19th centuries by a succession of cathedral officials, most notably WH Hale (Archdeacon of London, 1842-70) and Revd W Sparrow Simpson (Cathedral Librarian, 1862-97). The press marks devised by Sparrow Simpson in particular, with loose items in two series of boxes (A and B) and volumes in two cupboards, East (E) and West (W), and then on shelves A onwards within them, remained in use until the archives were transferred to Guildhall Library in 1980.
These press marks were published in H Maxwell Lyte's list of the cathedral's archives, printed as an Appendix to the Ninth Report of the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts in 1883. (An annotated copy of this list, which remains an access point for many modern users, is available from staff). However, many of the records deposited by the Church Commissioners and the Public Record Office do not have St Paul's press marks, since they did not pass through Sparrow Simpson's hands. The catalogue continues to indicate the St Paul's press marks in the Former Reference field.
The Cathedral Library continues to hold the St Paul's volumes of medieval manuscript religious or literary texts numbered "St Paul's Mss 1-4" and "6-20". ["Ms 5", also known as "WD24", has been deposited at Guildhall Library/LMA and catalogued as CLC/207/MS25524.] A full description of these items is given in NR Ker, "Medieval Manuscripts in British Libraries; Vol.1: London" (1969), pp.240-62. The Cathedral Librarian also retains custody of certain other records, including Chapter minutes from 1833; personal papers of cathedral dignitaries; modern baptismal, marriage and burial registers; the surviving archives of the Vicars Choral; collections of music manuscripts; and printed sermons.
A guide to the holdings of the Cathedral Library (before the transfer of the archives to Guildhall Library) is given in W Sparrow Simpson, "St Paul's Cathedral Library: A Catalogue [of] ... Works relating to London and especially to St Paul's Cathedral, Including ... Paul's Cross Sermons; Maps, Plans, and Views of London, and of St Paul's Cathedral" (1893). See also E Anne Read, "A Checklist of Books, Catalogues and Periodical Articles relating to the Cathedral Libraries of England" (Oxford Bibliographical Society, Occasional Publication no.6, 1970), with later supplement, "Library History", vol.4, no.5 (1978), pp.141-67, and F Atkinson, "St Paul's Cathedral, London: The Library of the Dean and Chapter" (1990). For general histories of the cathedral, see W Dugdale, "A History of St Paul's Cathedral", (3rd edn, 1818, with additions by H Ellis); HH Milman, "Annals of St Paul's Cathedral" (2nd edn, 1869); W Longman, "A History of the Three Cathedrals dedicated to St Paul in London" (1873); WR Matthews and WM Atkins eds, "A History of St Paul's Cathedral" (1957); and Ann Saunders, "St Paul's: The Story of the Cathedral" (2001). See also P Burman, "St Paul's Cathedral" (New Bell's Cathedral Guides, 1987). See also Derek Keene, Arthur Burns and Andrew Saints eds, "St Paul's, the Cathedral Church of London, 604-2004 (Yale University, 2004).
The bulk of the records of the Diocese of London held by the Manuscripts Section have been catalogued separately, but the activities of diocese and cathedral were often closely inter-linked and their records stored in close proximity within the cathedral. Indeed, many diocesan records were among the records transferred from the cathedral to Guildhall Library in 1980. Those records of the diocese which directly relate to the cathedral, especially those which concern the “Old Work” (the portion of the cathedral built before 1256 and, uniquely, the responsibility of the Bishop of London, not the Dean and Chapter), are included in this catalogue
A few records of provincial dioceses, chapters, monasteries and other ecclesiastical institutions outside London, which had strayed into the cathedral's custody, were also deposited at Guildhall Library in 1980. In most cases these records have been catalogued and assigned a Guildhall Library manuscript number (with any St Paul's press mark acknowledged) and then transferred to the appropriate local repository. These records are excluded from this catalogue. Other sources:
1) The College of Minor Canons (CLC/314). The Minor or Petty Canons were established as a distinct body within St Paul's Cathedral from an early date, and attended all cathedral services. The sub-dean of the cathedral was traditionally appointed from the Minor Canons. In 1366 the Minor Canons were left a common hall in the cathedral close, and in 1394 became a corporate body by royal charter (see below). See W Sparrow Simpson, 'The Charter and Statutes of the College of the Minor Canons in St Paul's Cathedral', Archaeologia, vol.43 (1871), pp.165-200; and Sparrow Simpson, 'Statutes of the College of the Minor Canons in St Paul's Cathedral', LAMAS Transactions, vol.4 (1875), pp.231-52.
The main records of the Minor Canons were deposited separately with the Manuscripts Section in 1993 and after (although a number of items had been transferred with those of the Dean and Chapter in 1980 or earlier still). The records include: royal charters of 1394, 1414, 1468, 1511 and 1566 (Ms 29410 & 29412-5); ratification of the new constitution by the Bishop of London, 1395 (Ms 29416); statute book, 1397-1521 (Ms 29418); minute books of college meetings, 1760-1981 (Ms 29420/1-5); account books, 1722-1958 (Ms 29425/1-3); memorandum book concerning estates and revenues, 1649-1770 (Ms 29432); and lease registers, 1722-1873 (Ms 29433/1-2, incomplete).
Further reading: ARB Fuller, The Minor Corporations of the Secular Cathedrals ... with Special Reference to the Minor Canons of St Paul's Cathedral (University of London, MA dissertation, 1947). A microfilm copy is held by the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library.
2) St Paul's Cathedral Choir School (CLC/315). The archives of the Choir School, which date only from the 19th century, were also deposited separately with the Manuscripts Section, in 1994 and after. A brief history of the school, first mentioned in 1127, is given in the catalogue of its archive (Guildhall Library Mss 29518-45, 29746). The school, formerly in Carter Lane, is now in New Change.
A list of known choristers, early 18th century to 1873, compiled by KI Garrett, can be found in Guildhall Studies in London History, vol.1, no.2 (1974), pp.82-93. Payments to choristers (with surnames of recipients), 1873-6, may be found in Ms 25725/1, and, 1876-81, in Ms 25725/2. There is also a register of applicants to the school (giving the names of those who were successful), 1879-1938 (Ms 29518). A printed register of the choir school, 1873-1964, is held by the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library.
The medieval choir school, run by the almoner, was distinct from the grammar school, run by the chancellor (and later re-founded by Dean Colet in 1510). See AF Leach, 'St Paul's School before Colet', Archaeologia, vol.62 (1910), pp.191-238. This school was originally near the cathedral, but was destroyed in the Great Fire. It was rebuilt in 1670 and 1822, moving in 1884 to Hammersmith and in 1968 to Barnes. Until 1876 the school was run by the Mercers' Company, who continue to hold administrative records of it. See AH Mead, A Miraculous Draught of Fishes: A History of St Paul's School (1990); Sir M McDonnell, The Annals of St Paul's School (1959), and Registers of St Paul's School 1509-1748 (1977); and RB Gardiner, Admission Registers of St Paul's School, from 1748-1876 (1884), and 1876-1905 (1906).
3) The Fraternity (or Brotherhood) of Jesus in the Crowds, which met in the cathedral crypt (popularly called 'Shrouds' or 'Crowdes'), was incorporated in 1457/8. A volume of letters patent, ordinances, charters, deeds etc, 1459-ca. 1536, is now Bodleian Ms Tanner 221. For extracts, see W Sparrow Simpson, Registrum, pp.435-62 & 483-4. For a history of the fraternity, see Elizabeth Ann New, The Cult of the Holy Name of Jesus in Late Medieval England, with Special Reference to the Fraternity in St Paul's Cathedral, London, c. 1450-1558 (University of London, PhD dissertation, 1999). A copy is held by the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library.
4) Chronicles. The Annales Paulini (Lambeth Palace Library, Ms 1106) have been edited for the years 1307-41 by WS Stubbs as Chronicles of the Reign of Edward I and Edward II, Vol.1 (Rolls Series, vol.76, 1882), pp.255-370. Lambeth Palace Library Ms 590 (with extracts from LPL Ms 1106) is edited in W Sparrow Simpson, 'A Short Chronicle of St Paul's Cathedral from A.D. 1140 to 1341', LAMAS Transactions, 1st series, vol.5 (1881), pp.311-26, and in Sparrow Simpson, 'Documents Illustrating the History of St Paul's Cathedral', Camden Society, new series, vol.26 (1880), pp.41-60 & 222-8. This last reference also includes extracts from the 'Chronicle of St Paul's London to 1399' (British Library, Add Ms 22142).
Further details of these and other chronicles are given in A Gransden, Historical Writing in England, vols.1-2 (1974, 1982). See also CLA/079/04 for records of St Paul's Cathedral within the archive of the Corporation of London.
Bibliography: This only lists works of general relevance, or which are cited frequently in other introductory notes. Works of specific relevance are cited at the appropriate point in introductory notes. F Atkinson, "St Paul's Cathedral, London: The Library of the Dean and Chapter" (1990). Peter WM Blayney, "The Bookshops in Paul's Cross Churchyard, London" (Bibliographical Society, Occasional paper no.5, 1990). P Burman, "St Paul's Cathedral" (New Bell's Cathedral Guides, 1987). GH Cook, "Old St Paul's Cathedral" (1955). GRC Davis, "Medieval Cartularies of Great Britain" (1958), no.598. W Dugdale, "A History of St Paul's Cathedral" (3rd edn, 1818, with additions by H Ellis), Marion Gibbs, "Early Charters of the Cathedral Church of St Paul's, London" "Camden Society" 3rd series, vol.58 (1939). D Keene and V Harding, "Survey of Documentary Sources for Property Holding in London before the Great Fire" (London Record Society, vol.22, 1985). D Keene, A Burns and A Saint, "St Paul's, the Cathedral Church of London, 604-2004" (Yale University, 2004). N Ker, "Medieval Manuscripts in British Libraries, Vol.1: London", (1969). WR Matthews and WM Atkins eds, "A History of St Paul's Cathedral" (1957). H Maxwell Lyte - see Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts. HH Milman, "Annals of St Paul's Cathedral" (2nd edn, 1869). N Pevsner and S Bradley, "The Buildings of England Series: London 1, The City of London" (revised edn, 1997), pp.155-183. Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts (HMC), "Ninth Report", Part 1 (1883). The Appendix to this report includes a list of the cathedral archives by H Maxwell Lyte. A Saunders, "St Paul's: The Story of the Cathedral" (2001). W Sparrow Simpson, "Chapters in the History of Old St Paul's" (1881). W Sparrow Simpson, "Gleanings from Old St Paul's" (1889). W Sparrow Simpson, "Registrum Statutorum et Consuetudinum Ecclesiae Cathedralis Sancti Pauli L ondinensis" (1873). W Sparrow Simpson, "St Paul's Cathedral Library: A Catalogue [of]...Works relating to London and Especially to St Paul's Cathedral, Including...Paul's Cross Sermons; Maps, Plans, and Views of London, and of St Paul's Cathedral" (1893). W Sparrow Simpson, "St Paul's Cathedral and Old City Life (1894). "Victoria County History (VCH) London Vol.1" (1909). G Yeo, "Record-keeping at St Paul's Cathedral", "Journal of the Society of Archivists", vol.8, no.1 (April 1986), pp.30-44. The above books and articles are all available at Guildhall Library.
|Language Notes:||English, Latin and French|