London Metropolitan Archives - Item Details

MOORES ROWLAND PREDECESSORS

Date of Creation:

1866? - 1985

Reference Code:

CLC/B/162

Scope and Content:
  • Records of predecessor companies of the accountants Moores Rowland, comprising Edward Moore and Sons; Sewell, Hutchinson and Company; Waissen Wilson; and Westcott, Maskall and Company.

    Edward Moore and Sons records include London partnership meeting minutes; ledgers; cash books; salaries books; inventory of furniture at the Thames House offices; correspondence; and notes concerning the history of the company.

    Sewell, Hutchinson and Company records comprise a balance sheet, 1934; ledgers, 1929-43; and a cash book, 1934-45.

    Waissen Wilson records comprise client records only and include financial and other records relating to the Le Bas Investment Trust, Edward Le Bas and Company and the estate of Edward Le Bas, 1932-67. Edward Le Bas (1904-66) was a painter and collector.

    Westcott, Maskall and Company records include various financial and administrative records of the firm 1890-1952.

Extent: 50 production units.
Classification: BUSINESSES
Former Reference: MS 29377- 29387 MS 29388- 29390 MS 31795- 31800 MS 31780- ,31788-94, 31801-803
Site Location: London Metropolitan Archives; some items held offsite
Level of Description:
    Collection

The Collection Tree View below shows the catalogue level, document or item described on this page in the hierarchical context of the collection it belongs to, identified in the tree by the open folder icon and highlighed text. Browsing the collection tree can be a useful way to find similar or related documents.

You can click the arrows next to the folder icons to explore the collection, opening and closing the levels of the Collection Tree. If you click on a title, you will leave this page, opening instead the page of the catalogue level, document or item you selected. Only the DOCUMENT and ITEM levels describe physical documents. The COLLECTION, GROUP, SERIES and SUBSERIES levels provide structure for the collection, but are not physical documents. See Help-Using the Catalogue for more information on our levels of catalogue description.

Administrative History:
  • Edward Moore and Sons:
    The company was formed by Edward Moore who began to practice as a "public accountant" at East India Chambers, Leadenhall Street from 1866 as 'Moore and Wallis's Mercantile Agency'. In 1880 Edward Cecil Moore was made a partner and the new partnership 'Edward Moore and Son' moved to offices at 3 Crosby Square. Another son was made a partner in 1890 and the style of the firm duly changed to 'Edward Moore and Sons'. In 1922 the company moved to 3 Thames House, Queen Street Place, in 1968 to 4 Chiswell Street and in 1988 to Clifford's Inn, Fetter Lane. The firm expanded in the 1970s opening a number of branch offices throughout England and Scotland. Edward Moore and Sons amalgamated with a number of practices in the 1970s and 1980s, most notably with Rowland Nevill of New Broad Street in 1985 to form the new company Moores and Rowland (from 1989 Moores Rowland).

    Sewell, Hutchinson and Company:
    The company was formed in 1914 from C.F. Burton and Sewell and Company (itself formed in 1906) and acted as accountants until 1965 when the company was merged to form the group Rowland, Goodman, Sewell, Hutchinson and Sheen. It was based successively at Copthall Avenue (1914-15), Broad Street Place (1915-24) and Finsbury Pavement House, Moorgate (1925-65).

    Waissen Wilson:
    The firm of chartered accountants Waissen Wilson was founded by H Waissen Wilson at 5 Guildhall Chambers c.1888. It moved to 12 Trinity Square (1890-1911), 40 Trinity Square (1911-8), 2 Fenchurch Avenue (1918-39), 13 Fenchurch Avenue (1939-40), 20 Copthall Avenue (c.1940-64) and 137 Victoria Street (1964-72). On Wilson's death in 1915, Henry and James Holmes took over the running of the practice, having previously acted independently from 60 Coleman Street. In 1972 Waissen Wilson merged with Westcott, Maskall and Company to form Westcott Wilson, based at 24 Grosvenor Gardens (1973), 1 Vincent Square (1974-9) and 87 Vincent Square (1980-1). This firm was taken over by Blakemore Elgar and Company in 1981, who merged with Moores Rowland in c.1995.

    Westcott, Maskall and Company:
    William Westcott began practising ca.1853 and by 1872 had formed Bagshaw, Westcott and Johnson, chartered accountants, at 35 Coleman Street. In 1875 this practice became William Westcott and Company Limited. It became Westcott, Maskall and Company when Thomas Maskall was admitted as partner in 1899. The practice moved to 99 Gresham Street (1888-1905); 29 and 30 Broad Street Avenue (1905-51); and 33 Catherine Place (1951-72). In 1972 they merged with Waissen Wilson to form Westcott Wilson, based at 24 Grosvenor Square (1973); 1 Vincent Square (1974-9) and 87 Vincent Square (1980-1). In 1981 this firm was taken over by Blakemore Elgar and Company, who merged with Moores Rowland ca.1995.
Creator: Edward Moore and Sons | accountants
Sewell, Hutchinson and Co | accountants
Waissen Wilson | chartered accountants
Westcott, Maskall and Co | chartered accountants
Copyright: Depositor
Source of Acquisition:
  • The records were presented to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1993 and 1998. The records were catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
  • 1993/005
  • 1993/017
Access Restrictions: Restricted access: please see staff
Arrangement: CLC/B/162-01: Edward Moore and Sons;
CLC/B/162-02: Sewell, Hutchinson and Company;
CLC/B/162-03: Waissen Wilson;
CLC/B/162-04: Westcott, Maskall and Company.