London Metropolitan Archives - Item Details

FOUNDLING HOSPITAL

Date of Creation:

1741 - 1979

Reference Code:

A/FH

Scope and Content:
  • Records of the Foundling Hospital. The collection consists of over 800 linear feet of shelving, an estimated 8 tons of paper, and over 1000 plans. The completeness of the collection is particularly noteworthy. The officers of the Hospital from the very beginning were extremely meticulous in record keeping and detailed documents survive which record the lives of the children, the way in which the Hospital operated, the methods of nursing, the prescriptions of the apothecary, the reports of the inspectors, the extraordinary accounts of women's lives, and the involvement of leading figures of the day in actively supporting the charity.

    A/FH/A/01 Charter, petitions and foundation;
    A/FH/A/02 Governors;
    A/FH/A/03 Minutes;
    A/FH/A/04 Reports;
    A/FH/A/05 Agenda books and committee papers;
    A/FH/A/06 Secretary: General;
    A/FH/A/07 Secretary: Staff;
    A/FH/A/08 Secretary: Petitioners;
    A/FH/A/09 Secretary: Children, admission and discharge;
    A/FH/A/10 Secretary: Children, in the country;
    A/FH/A/11 Secretary: Children, being claimed;
    A/FH/A/12 Secretary: Children, apprenticeship;
    A/FH/A/13 Secretary: Children, other employment;
    A/FH/A/14 Secretary: Chapel;
    A/FH/A/15 Secretary: Country Hospitals' returns;
    A/FH/A/16 Secretary: Estate;
    A/FH/A/17 Steward;
    A/FH/A/18 Apothecary/Medical department;
    A/FH/A/19 Dentist;
    A/FH/A/20 Oculist;
    A/FH/A/21 Surveyor;
    A/FH/A/22 Solicitor;
    A/FH/A/23 Schoolmaster;
    A/FH/A/24 Porter/Lodge keeper;
    A/FH/A/25 Night watchman;
    A/FH/A/26 Carpenter;
    A/FH/A/27 Engineer;
    A/FH/A/28 Tailor;
    A/FH/A/29 Matron;
    A/FH/A/30 Scullery maids;
    A/FH/A/31 Headmistress;
    A/FH/A/32 Infants' Headmistress;
    A/FH/A/33 Foster parents.

    A/FH/B/01 Treasurer;
    A/FH/B/02 Treasurer's clerk;
    A/FH/B/03 Secretary: General;
    A/FH/B/04 Secretary: Governors;
    A/FH/B/05 Secretary: Committees;
    A/FH/B/06 Secretary: Estate;
    A/FH/B/07 Secretary's clerk/assistant;
    A/FH/B/08 Steward;
    A/FH/B/09 Apothecary;
    A/FH/B/10 Surveyor;
    A/FH/B/11 Schoolmaster and storekeeper;
    A/FH/B/12 Messenger;
    A/FH/B/13 Gardener;
    A/FH/B/14 Matron;
    A/FH/B/15 Domestic Economy School supervisor;
    A/FH/B/16 Hostel supervisor.

    A/FH/C/01 Benevolent fund;
    A/FH/C/02 Whatley fund;
    A/FH/C/03 Foundling Hospital Savings Bank;
    A/FH/C/04 Superannuation fund.

    A/FH/D/01 Ackworth, West Yorkshire;
    A/FH/D/02 Shrewsbury, Salop;
    A/FH/D/03 Westerham, Kent;
    A/FH/D/04 Chester, Cheshire.

    A/FH/E/01 Commissioners for paving the estate of the Foundling Hospital;
    A/FH/E/02 Brunswick Square Committee;
    A/FH/E/03 Caroline and Landsdowne Place Committee;
    A/FH/E/04 Mecklerburgh Square Committee;
    A/FH/E/05 For paving estates of Thomas Harrison.

    A/FH/F/01 Treasurer, Revd. Dr S White;
    A/FH/F/02 Treasurer, SC Cox;
    A/FH/F/03 Treasurers, GB Gregory and JRB Gregory;
    A/FH/F/04 Governor, C Plumley;
    A/FH/F/05 Secretary, J Brownlow;
    A/FH/F/06 Secretary, WS Wintle;
    A/FH/F/07 Preacher, Revd. J Hewlett;
    A/FH/F/08 Captain L Grove;
    A/FH/F/09 American Loyalist Claims Commission;
    A/FH/F/10 CF Eley, musician;
    A/FH/F/11 Steward, WC Wills;
    A/FH/F/12 H Cooke;
    A/FH/F/13 Unidentified;
    A/FH/F/14 Secretary, M Lievesley;
    A/FH/F/15 Miss Bunbury.

    A/FH/G/01 Redevelopment of the Foundling Site;
    A/FH/G/02 The Foundling Hospital School, Berkhamsted;
    A/FH/G/03 Nurseries and the Child Welfare Centre;
    A/FH/G/04 Cross Road Club;
    A/FH/G/05 Subject and policy files.

    A/FH/H/01 Chancery Case: Attorney General v Foundling Hospital;
    A/FH/H/02 Out of custody documents: purchased strays.

    A/FH/K/01 General Court fair minutes;
    A/FH/K/02 General Committee fair minutes.

    A/FH/M/01 Documents and books collected by J Brownlow;
    A/FH/M/02 Miscellaneous manuscripts;
    A/FH/M/03 Printed material: books, pamphlets and ephemera;
    A/FH/M/04 Public events: royal visits, ceremonies , concerts and memorials.

    A/FH/Q/01 Records stored at Ackworth.

    A/FH/T/01 Thomas Coram Foundation for Children;
    A/FH/T/02 Old Coram Association.

    A/FH/Y/01 Artefacts.
  • PLEASE NOTE:
    AS OF 2020 SOME RECORDS ARE BEING DIGITISED AND ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR ACCESS
    WHEN DIGITISATION IS COMPLETE THE DIGITAL VERSIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE ONLINE VIA WWW.CORAMSTORY.ORG.UK
Extent: 239.38 linear metres
Classification: CHARITIES
Site Location: London Metropolitan Archives
Level of Description:
    Collection

The Collection Tree View below shows the catalogue level, document or item described on this page in the hierarchical context of the collection it belongs to, identified in the tree by the open folder icon and highlighed text. Browsing the collection tree can be a useful way to find similar or related documents.

You can click the arrows next to the folder icons to explore the collection, opening and closing the levels of the Collection Tree. If you click on a title, you will leave this page, opening instead the page of the catalogue level, document or item you selected. Only the DOCUMENT and ITEM levels describe physical documents. The COLLECTION, GROUP, SERIES and SUBSERIES levels provide structure for the collection, but are not physical documents. See Help-Using the Catalogue for more information on our levels of catalogue description.

Administrative History:
  • The Foundling Hospital was established by Royal Charter on 17 October 1739 by Thomas Coram as a refuge for abandoned children. Its creation in the eighteenth century was unique, and even 120 years later the Hospital was the only institution for the admission of illegitimate children listed in a 1863 charities directory for London.

    Returning to Britain in 1719 after establishing a shipwright's business in America, Coram was appalled at the numbers of dead and dying babies he saw in the streets of London, and the failure of the establishment to care for these children. Foundling (i.e. illegitimate) children had been cared for at Christ's Hospital from its foundation in 1552, but a decision to admit only legitimate orphans was taken in 1676. From this date onwards, therefore, the only option for illegitimate children was to be placed in a parish poorhouse, where extremely high mortality rates prevailed and childcare facilities were non-existent. Coram campaigned for twenty years in order to gain support for his scheme. A major difficulty was overcoming widespread prejudice towards illegitimacy, but he managed to enlist the support of many leading members of the aristocracy, the city, the arts and the sciences by a series of petitions to which they signed their names.

    The first temporary location of the Hospital was a house in Hatton Gardens, children being admitted there from March 1741 onwards. The following year the foundation stone of the new Hospital was laid on land acquired from the Earl of Salisbury in Lamb's Conduit Fields, Bloomsbury, an as yet undeveloped area beyond the city. The Hospital was designed by Theodore Jacobsen as a plain brick building with two wings and a chapel, built around an open courtyard. By 1747 work had begun on the Chapel. Although not completed until 1753, it was in use before that date, most notably on 1 May 1750 when George Frederick Handel, a patron of the Hospital, directed a performance of the Oratorio 'Messiah' to mark the presentation of the organ to the Chapel. The Hospital received a great deal of patronage from the arts. The painter William Hogarth, a governor of the Hospital, decided to set up an art exhibition in the court room of the new buildings, encouraging other artists to produce work for the Hospital. As a consequence, by the late eighteenth Century the Hospital had become a fashionable place to visit.

    Admission to the Hospital was initially restricted because of the lack of funds. Infants were to be less than two months old and in good health to qualify for entry, and admissions were made on a first come first served basis. Once a child had been accepted he or she was baptised and thereby given a new name. The child was then boarded out to a dry or wet nurse in the country. These nurses were mostly in the Home Counties but could be as far away as West Yorkshire or Shropshire. The nurses were monitored by voluntary inspectors. On reaching 3 years of age, the child was returned to the Hospital to receive basic schooling and he or she would remain there until apprenticed out to trades or service, or enlisted in the armed forces.

    In 1742 the numbers of mothers bringing children to the Hospital was so great and the admissions procedure so disorderly that it was decided to adopt a ballot system to decide which children were admitted. By 1756 the Hospital was forced to ask Parliament for funds. As a consquence for the next four years the Hospital functioned as a quasi-public body receiving government support. In return for that support, however, the Governors were obliged to accept every child presented to them. A number of branch hospitals were established to cope with the large number of children received during this period of 'indiscriminate admission' 1756-1760. These were in Aylesbury, Barnet, Westerham, Ackworth, Chester and Shrewsbury and records survive in the collections for these hospitals, particularly Ackworth Hospital.

    In 1760 the period of indiscriminate admission was ended when Parliament withdrew its support and the Hospital was forced to temporarily stop admitting children. When admissions resumed a new system was adopted which involved mothers submitting written petitions to the Hospital which were then assessed by committee. This petition system formed the basis of all subsequent admissions to the Hospital and the survival of these petitions in the collection provides a valuable insight into the backgrounds and circumstances of the mothers. Although the Hospital had been set up primarily for the care of illegitimate children, the Governors also began to accept children of soldiers killed in war.

    The administration of the Hospital remained largely unchanged until 1926 when the buildings and surrounding estate were sold for £1,650,000. Throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries the area around the Hospital had been transformed. In 1780s the Hospital had decided to lease out its land to developers who proceeded to build squares, streets, and town houses (the rent from which provided the Hospital with much needed regular income). By 1920s, and in keeping with the trend to move schools and institutions outside of central London to healthier environments, it was felt that the proceeds of selling the estate would secure financially the continued work of the Hospital. Accordingly the estate was sold, the Hospital buildings were pulled down and the children moved to temporary premises at Saint Anne's Schools, Redhill, Surrey, until a new site was found for them at Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire. When the new school opened in 1935, the Governors decided that it should be named Thomas Coram School, and the title Foundling Hospital was dropped.

    The Hospital did not lose its connection with the Bloomsbury site for long, however. The site had been bought by a property speculator, James White, who intended to transfer Covent Garden Market there. He was forced to abandoned this plan due to strong local opposition, and with the assistance of Lord Rothermere, three-quarters of the site was purchased from him to form a children's playground for the locality. This became known as Coram's Fields. The remaining quarter was re-purchased by the Foundling Hospital and became their headquarters at 40 Brunswick Square. Some of the internal fittings saved from the old Hospital buildings were transferred to the new offices, as were the Foundling art collections.

    It soon became evident that the income from investing the proceeds of the sale was surplus to the requirements of the Hospital and decisions were made to broaden the work of the charity by assisting kindred voluntary organisations, most notably the Cross Road Club (a home for mothers and babies), the Foundling Site Nurseries (residential and day care centres) and Saint Leonards Nursery School. Records relating to these institutions can be found in the collection.

    In 1954 the Governors, influenced by trends towards non-institutional forms of caring for children, disposed of the school at Berkhamsted (now known as Ashlyn's School), transferring it to Hertfordshire County Council, and returned children to their foster homes. It was felt that the children would benefit from a more conventional home life, attending local schools and mixing with other children. In 1953 the organisation changed its name to the Thomas Coram Foundation for Children, reflecting these developments. More recently the charity has been renamed Coram Family. It is still dedicated to working with deprived and disadvantaged children, providing adoption and foster care services, and promoting research into child welfare.
Creator: Foundling Hospital
Thomas Coram School x Ashlyn's School
Thomas Coram Foundation for Children x Coram Family
Copyright: Depositor
Source of Acquisition:
  • The collection has been deposited at different stages between 1954 and 2001.
  • AC/54/038
  • AC/55/023
  • AC/57/072
  • AC/64/018
  • AC/72/096
  • AC/73/074
  • ACC/3576
  • B97/154
  • B99/054
  • B98/095
  • B98/188
  • B98/210
  • B99/041
  • B99/118
  • B00/035
  • B00/048
  • B01/108
  • AC/72/068
  • AC/72/079
  • AC/73/032
  • AC/64/077
  • ACC/1606
  • ACC/2418
  • ACC/3745
  • ACC/2068
  • ACC/3338
  • ACC/3596
  • ACC/3453
  • ACC/3260
Access Restrictions: There are many items in the collection which contain personal information about named individuals. The Governors have requested that such registers which contain this information should remain closed for 110 years from the last date of the register or file concerned.
Physical Condition: Fit
Arrangement: Records have been arranged into the following series:
A/FH/A ADMINISTRATION; A/FH/B FINANCE; A/FH/C SEPARATE FUNDS; A/FH/D COUNTRY HOSPITALS; A/FH/E COMMISSIONS OF PAVING; A/FH/F PRIVATE PAPERS; A/FH/G TWENTIETH CENTURY DEVELOPMENTS; A/FH/H LEGAL RECORDS; A/FH/K FAIR MINUTES; A/FH/M MISCELLANEOUS; A/FH/Q ACKWORTH SCHOOL; A/FH/T RELATED DOCUMENTATION; A/FH/Y ARTEFACTS.
Related Material: Not all the records of the Foundling Hospital are kept at London Metropolitan Archives. The Coram Family has retained a number of records needed to carry on its own work. A number of twentieth Century files relating to the Berkhamsted site are held at Hertfordshire Record Office.
Burials of foundlings connected with the hospital have been found in several parish registers in the Surrey area, as follows:

St John the Baptist, Egham:
John BEDFORD buried 5 May 1741
Anna Maria CHAMBER buried 21 May 1741
Aethelred HOVEL buried 26 May 1741
Barnard MOLE buried 21 June 1741
Eliz HOADLEY buried 10 Aug 1741
Taylor WHITE buried 9 Mar 1741/2
Pamela ANDREWS buried 4 June 1742
Henry EUGENE buried 21 July1742

St Mary, Byfleet:
Susan LARRET buried 24 Feb 1758
Catherine FREEMAN buried 19 Apr 1758

St Lawrence, Effingham:
Charity RUSSELL buried 3 Sep 1756
Catherine DEVON buried 3 Sep 1756
Thomas BUTCHER buried 5 Sep 1756
Francis SOMERS buried 14 Sep 1756
Elizabeth BURTON buried 17 Oct 1756
James EARL buried 16 Nov 1756
Elizabeth THOMPSON buried 1 Jan 1757
John FAZAKERY buried 5 Dec 1757
Charles MALLET buried 17 Jan 1758
Letitia MIMS buried 25 Jan 1758
Sarah STAINES buried 5 Mar 1759
Cornelius TROW buried 22 Oct 1759

Original registers for these parishes are available at Surrey History Centre.

Other references to foundlings have been found in Surrey registers, not necessarily connected with the hospital. Please see www.freereg.org.uk for further details.

A form for admission with token dated 2 June 1756 'W:W' 3 weeks old female, christened as Mary Ann Potero on 5 May 1756 at St James's Parish is held at the Museum of London (reference NN2711). Records relating to the Coram's Fields Playground can be found in the papers of the Mary Ward Settlement, LMA/4524.
Publication Notes:

R H Nichols and F A Wray, The History of the Foundling Hospital (1935) {20.751 NIC}

R K McClure, Coram's Children: The Foundling Hopsital in the Eighteenth Century (1981) {20.751 MAC}

G Clark, Correspondence of the Foundling Hospital Inspectors in Berkshire 1757-1768 (1994) {20.751 CLA}

D S Allin, The Early Years of the Foundling Hospital 1739/41 - 1773 (2009) {20.751 ALL}

F Barret-Ducrocq, Love in the time of Victoria (1992) {40.45 BAR}

D J Olsen, Town Planning in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries (1964, 1982) {28.061 OLS}

John Styles. - Threads of feeling : the London Foundling Hospital's textile tokens, 1740-17 . - [London?] : Foundling Museum, 2010

Berry, Helen, Orphans of Empire: The Fate of London's Foundlings (2019). (20.751 BER)