The navigation breadcrumb trail is not available for this record, either because this is a collection level item, or the parent record is not available for online access.
BANSTEAD AND HORTON HOSPITALS
Reference Code: H22
- Site Location
- London Metropolitan Archives
- Level of Description
- 1835 - 1990
- 73.4 linear metres
- Scope and Content
- Records of the Banstead Hospital, 1835 - 1985; the Horton Hospital, 1900 - 1990 and the Horton Hospital Malaria Treatment Unit, 1889 - 1979. Papers include minutes, patient registers, case notes, treatment books, staff records, reports, visitors books, research papers, glass plate negatives, financial records, diaries, correspondence with the Public Health Laboratory and subject files relating to malaria and mosquitos.
- Administrative History
- Banstead Hospital opened in 1877 as the third lunatic asylum for the county of Middlesex. It was under the general control of the Middlesex justices of the peace until 1889 when, on the establishment of the London County Council it passed into their hands. In 1948 the hospital came under the South West Metropolitan Hospital Board and the Banstead Hospital Management Committee, which lasted until 1974. With the reorganisation of the National Health Service the hospital came under the management of the North West Thames Regional Health Authority and the North East Health District until 1982 when it became part of the Victoria District Health Authority and finally the Riverside Health Authority in 1985 prior to its closure in 1986. Horton Hospital was founded in 1902 by the London County Council as Horton Asylum. It was one of five mental hospitals opened on the Horton Estate, Epsom. In 1915 Horton Asylum became Horton (County of London) War Hospital, which was commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel J.R. Lord. This required the transfer of 2143 patients to sister hospitals. From 1918 until 1937 Horton Asylum became known as Horton Mental Hospital. The Second World War saw Horton once again become a war hospital as part of the Emergency Medical Service, returning to its function as a mental hospital in 1949. Upon the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948, Horton Hospital became part of the South West Metropolitan Region. Between 1974 and 1982 the Hospital was part of the North West Thames Region within the North East District (Teaching) Health Authority. From 1982 the Hospital was part of the North West Thames Region within the Victoria District Health Authority and in 1985 it became part of the Riverside Health Authority. The hospital was closed in 1998.
- Public records deposited under section 4(1) of the 1958 Public Records Act Copyright to these records rests with the Corporation of London.
- Access Restrictions
- These records are open to public inspection, although under section 5(4) of the 1958 Public Records Act administrative records are closed for 30 years and patient records for 100 years.
- In 3 sections: Banstead Hospital (H22/BAN), Horton Hospital (H22/HT) and Horton Hospital Malaria Treatment Unit (H22/HT/MTU).
- Finding Aid Note
- Source of Acquisition
- Material received in 15 accessions between 1986 and 2002.
- Physical Condition