The navigation breadcrumb trail is not available for this record, either because this is a collection level item, or the parent record is not available for online access.
Reference Code: CLC/499
- Site Location
- London Metropolitan Archives
- Level of Description
- Former Reference
- MS 14717- 14756, 19320-19336, 20508-20509
- 1657 - 1963
- 99 production units.
- Scope and Content
- The Salaman family papers are a collection of deeds, documents and accounts arising from settlements and trusts under the wills of Myer Salaman (died 1 April 1896) and Nathan Salaman (died 18 April 1905). The properties mentioned in the deeds are in the City of London, Islington, Hammersmith and Westminster. Also includes ostrich feather auction sales catalogues.
- FAMILIES AND INDIVIDUALS
- Administrative History
- In 1864 Isaac Salaman, ostrich feather manufacturer of 69 Lamb's Conduit Street, withdrew from his partnership with two of his sons Myer and Nathan Salaman. They continued the business at 45 (later 44-47) Monkwell Street and (from 1893) Falcon Square under the name of Isaac Salaman and Company. The company also operated as ostrich feather manufacturers, sellers and importers in Cape Town, Paris and New York. In 1895 Myer Salaman sold the business to a new company, Isaac Salaman and Company Ltd, which was registered on 31 May 1895. This company existed until 1943.
- Access Restrictions
- Available for general access
- Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
- Salaman | Myer | d 1896 | ostrich feather manufacturer Salaman | Nathan | d 1905 | ostrich feather manufacturer
- Custodial History
- It is not known whether any records have survived of the business transactions of Isaac Salaman and Company.
- Source of Acquisition
- 1973/024 The papers were deposited by trustees of Myer and Nathan Salaman (or their lawyers) in 1973 and 1978, apart from Mss 20508-9 which came from a donor unconnected with the Salaman family. They were catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff at various dates from 1973. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.